Flowery wallpapers? Y/N?

Wallpapers

Images from www.meinewand.de, Wallpaper Maggie
I'm not someone who likes gaudy interiors, wallpapered all over with colorful flowers and bold patterns. I've always had white walls with paitings (mostly my own) or other accents such as wallpapered panels. And I've always prefered light and bright interiors. A simple and clean style and very scandinavian. But this wallpaper from Meine Wand caught my eye for two reasons. First, I really like the pixelated effect and how it shifts when out of focus. I can totally see it used for photoshootings and stuff. Or used for one accent wall or a panel to break up lots of white...
The second reason why I have a huge thing for it is because it reminds me of the bathroom in my Grandparents vacation home in Florida...Well, as long as I can remember I thought the wallpaper in this bathroom was terrible hideous and causes eye cancer - the whole room except for the shower was papered with it from the floor to the ceiling and there was some heating bulb in there, too, which flooded the room with red (!) light. Entering this room was like entering a different world. A world where it is always warm and colorful and fancy and loud, where everything else started to feel irrelevant because the pink and lilac walls together with the red, warm light obliterated everything. I don't know if this makes any sense but there are interiors - no matter if you like them or not - that just suck you in and there is simply no way to ignore or oversee them. Oh, and did I mention that this bathroom did not have a window and you could only enter it thorugh an ante-sink-area which made it impossible that this room may ever get a single beam of daylight?

Wallpapers
Said bathroom, taken by me back in 2001

Anyway - now, several years after my grandparents have sold the house and after years of missing Florida dearly I also start to miss this bathroom...of course I still think it was gruesome. But as much as it was overdone and shrill and tacky it was also very unique and kitschy. In the end you could only love it (as long as this is not your only bathroom that you have to use every day!).


But I don't want to end this post without sharing some more wallpapers from Meine Wand:

Wallpapers
Images from www.meinewand.de

3 comments:

  1. It took me about 7 years to start putting pictures on my wall, so it would be difficult to put flowers on my wall. I really love that wallpaper that's brown, because it's just a little touch. I also really love that wallpaper with all the city names. Actually, that's really great, I wonder if I can buy it locally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about it some more, and I wish I had enough guts to have flowery wallpaper. I like the way it looks in that picture with the dog. It really makes for an interesting background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the bathroom! For real, I do!!

    ReplyDelete